Charlottesville Breaking News

'Gail for Rail' throws support to Webb

The #3 candidate in Virginia's madcap race for the U.S. Senate, the woman who has focused on light rail, appears to have steered her train into the camp of Democratic challenger James Webb. Appearing today at a Webb rally in Roanoke, Gail Parker said afterwards that while she won't technically endorse, she concedes she's "taking sides now." "If folks can't vote for us because we're too conservative, then for goodness sakes, please vote for postive change," says Parker following the Webb rally at Fire Station #1 in Roanoke. "By being there, I believe I lent my moral support," Parker tells the Hook. "We have chosen sides. Certainly, the incumbent is not change." Shut out of the four debates between Webb and incumbent Senator George Allen, Parker has

barely registered on the pollsters' charts, earning just two percent of the probable vote, according to several polls. About a week ago, the retired Air Force officer and civilian executive budget analyst announced that she'd throw her support to the candidate who supports her vision of a state-spanning high-speed, light-rail network that she sees as key to cutting traffic fatalities and helping eliminate the need for foreign oil, which she blames for the war in Iraq...

4 comments | read more

Bomb trial: Teen's appeal lifts secrecy veil

Evidence in a highly publicized alleged plot to blow up two high schools was heard for the first time in a courtroom open to the public. A former Jack Jouett middle schooler appealed his conviction in Albemarle Circuit Court August 15 with the defense contending the boy didn't even know two of the three other teens arrested for allegedly plotting to blow up Albemarle and Western Albemarle high schools and that he thought the plan was a joke.

Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Darby Lowe produced an array of ponytailed rising ninth graders to testify they'd heard the 13-year-old talk about the alleged plot before the police's February 3 announcement that three teens had been arrested. 

Publicity was clearly on Lowe's mind, and when she asked the jury pool if they'd read about the case, 10 of 36 potential jurors raised their hands. In particular, Lowe asked if they'd listened to Coy Barefoot's "Charlottesville... Right Now" radio show on WINA, or had read the Hook's July 20 article about the case. Lowe also subpoenaed most media organizations in town, including the Hook, the Daily Progress, WINA, NBC29 and the Newsplex.

Lowe's first witness was Albemarle police Sergeant Linda Jenkins who interviewed the 13-year-old boy on Febru...

0 comments | read more

Lawyer: Lethal near bankruptcy

Lethal Wrecker is back in the news again, and this time it's pleading bankruptcy– well, almost. Readers may remember that 2003-2005 were banner years for dust-ups involving Lethal Wrecker and the company's predatory pricing practices– specifically, consistently overcharging parkers trying to pry their impounded cars from Lethal's grasp. In October 2005, the City successfully sued Lethal's owner, George Morris, and extracted a settlement that required that he stop overcharging, issue written receipts, and reimburse towees for the illegal charges. On Tuesday, August 1, however, a letter from Deputy City Attorney Lisa Kelley informed the 21 aggrieved citizens who've been anxiously awaiting refunds ranging from $5 to $170 (for a total payout by Lethal of $1,105) that collection day may be a long time coming. "In court on July 21," Kelly writes, "Lethal's attorney represented to the Court that Lethal does not have the money to pay the claims, and that Lethal is on the verge of bankruptcy." How could a company that once charged over $16,000 for a single tow (for a stuck beer truck wedged between...

5 comments | read more

Bodo's sold: Three managers buy the bagel biz

After 20 years at the helm of Bodo's, the legendary bagelry that has become a Charlottesville institution, owner Brian Fox is calling it quits.

“That’s enough,” says Fox, a once notorious workaholic/perfectionist whose penchant for offering low-cost meals was topped only by fascination with how long it took him to open each of this three venues– one of which took a decade.

“Your drive disappears when your responsibilities diminish, at least for me,” says Fox, 61, who says he has backed away from daily operation of the stores over the last few years.

In 1986, Fox hung his famous "bagels are coming" sign on a former Roy Rogers fast-food joint on Emmet Street. Three years later, the first Bodo's opened.

Fox stopped by the Hook June 5 to reveal his news (if not the sales price).

“I want to have more time to read and travel and be relatively worry-free," he says. "I had tremendous ambition to take care of my family, and I’ve done that. The business has worked very hard and well over the years, and I for it.”

Given his attachment to the business, it’s not hard to see why Fox chose a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory method of passing on his bagel empire. Although the business didn’t go to a golden-ticket holder unwrapping his pastrami on sesame, it did go to people who share Fox’s vision: his three general managers.

“They’re like me,” Fox says, “in that they're not satisfied with t...

0 comments | read more

ARB approves first phase of Albemarle Place

The Albemarle County Architectural Review Board yesterday approved "Block C" of the Albemarle Place development, a self-proclaimed "town center" to be built at the intersection of Route 29 and Hydraulic Road. As the Hook recently reported, the development will be about the size of two Downtown Malls, with a Main Street, a 14-screen theater, a 120-room hotel, a potential 10-story residential building, and a host of big-name retailers and restaurants. Yesterday’s ARB approval paved the way for the theater and a 5-story office building along Hydraulic Road.
#

0 comments | read more
EDITOR'S NOTE
12 comments
Editor's Note
4BETTER OR WORSE
4Better Or Worse
CORRECTIONS
Corrections
CULTUREVULTURE
2 comments
CultureVulture
EDITOR'S NOTE
42 comments
Editor's Note