Charlottesville Breaking News
A 62-year-old Albemarle woman has been arrested and jailed on charges of attempted murder for hire and attempted arson. Police say they were dispatched to the 2800 block of McCauley Court on April 16 by the intended victim and informed of the alleged plot, which was divulged by acquaintances of the victim before it could reach fruition.
Police arrested Linda Faye McDaniel of the 800 block of Mallside Forest on two warrants and took her to the Albemarle Charlottesville Regional Jail.
Police Sergeant Darrell Byers says McDaniel appeared in court on the morning of Monday, April 18 where bail was set at $10,000. Whether McDaniel has obtained bond to get her from jail he could not say. He says that authorities don't plan to release the name of the intended victim.
This appears to be the first major murder-for-hire plot in this area since the Patrick Shemorry case resulted in a guilty plea in 2009.
As expected, the charges against George W. Huguely IV, the scion of a prominent Washington-area family accused of murdering his on-again/off-again girlfriend, have now been certified by a Charlottesville grand jury.
Bearing the signature of a citizen named Virginia Ritchie, the indictments were handed down on Monday, April 18 and released by the City of Charlottesville that afternoon. The grand jury, meeting just one week day after the case's long-delayed preliminary hearing, accuses the 23-year-old Huguely of first degree murder, robbery, burglarly, and larceny– six felonies in all.
Huguely stands accused of breaking into the 14th Street home of Yeardley Reynolds Love, a UVA women's lacrosse player and fellow fourth-year student, in order to kill her. Her unresponsive body was found by her apartment-mate on the morning of May 3.
Huguely's lawyer has termed the incident a tragic accident.
Unless Huguely and the Commonwealth agree to a plea, the eyes of the nation will descend on Charlottesville for a high-profile, two-week trial set for February 6, 2012.
It may not yet have achieved world peace, but a locally-made film has gotten a world stage. John Hunter, the star of World Peace & Other Fourth Grade Achievements as well as the creator of the game that inspired the film, joined such luminaries as Bill Gates, retired Army General Stanley McChrystal, and film critic Roger Ebert as featured presenters at the exclusive TED Conference last month in Long Beach, California.
"He got a standing ovation," says the filmmaker, Chris Farina.
Talking to audiences who'd ponied up no less than $3,500 per seat, Hunter's appearance may have helped the picture rack up new achievements since the film first screened in Charlottesville in February 2010.
"It's beyond our wildest dreams where this film is going," says Farina. "Five years ago, we were scrambling to come up with money to shoot at our local school. Now we're getting calls from Korea."
Indeed, the film has aired on South Korean televisions stations as well as on Al Hurra, a mideast competitor to Al Jazeera. Farina says he's currently negotiating a deal with an American broadcaster, which he hopes will help pay off debt he's still carrying from the film's estimated $120,000 budget.
The deadline for serving defendants in the $200 million civil suit against the City of Staunton passed on April 12, and the plaintiff says he's not sure whether his case will now be dismissed after a high-profile defendant allegedly avoided service.
"I'm very disappointed that the mayor– of all people– wouldn't come forward, acknowledge it, and defend the city," says plaintiff Bill Thomas of Staunton Mayor Lacy King, the allegedly uncooperative defendant.
Thomas's suit– which he's waging without the assistance of a lawyer– alleges decades of harassment and a conspiracy by city officials and police relating to a brutal double slaying in an ice cream parlor 41 years ago. Mayor King worked for the Staunton Police Department for 32 years before retiring as Deputy Chief in 2001, and he was elected to City Council the following year.
According to a notice in the court file, Thomas had 120 days after his December 13 filing to serve the defendants. He says he was advised by the U.S. District Court clerk in Roanoke to instead get the defendants to sign a form waiving service. So he sent certified letters to four defendants, including Mayor King, City Manager Stephen Owen, and Staunton City Attorney Douglas Guynn. Owen and Guynn signed, says Thomas.
Victor Santos, the attorney representing the city, says he also s...