April 5th, 2012 issue #1114
April 5th, 2012
- It was less than two months before race day when Joshua Bare got the bad news: the owner of the Ruckersville-area property where Bare had planned to hold his upcoming Mud Warrior mud race was backing out. "He kicked me off his property," exclaims Bare. "There was no reason given."read more
4Better Or Worse
- Most powdery substances: The day before white and red powdery substances are found in the mailbox of the Sylvan Learning Center on Greenbrier Place to bring out hazmat un...
- Since last fall, there's been a hole-in-the-wall (literally!) Mexican take-out joint in the back of the Belmont Market that's been serving up spicy fish tacos, burritos, an...Just two weeks after the artery-clogging opening of Cook-Out, word comes that another Greensboro-based food company plans to shake up Charlottesville.Prior stories • Concrete move: Market Annex work begins on Main St. • High on the Skybar
- By Michael Akey“Farmers are the original environmentalists.”
Real Estate - $old
- 2/3/2012 ...
Real Estate - On the Block
- Address: 1406 Short 18th StreetNeighborhood: Woolen MillsAsking: $215,000Assessment: $145,800Year Built: 1940Size: 916 finished sq. ft., 814 unfinishedLand: .17 acres...
Real Estate Property auctions
- April 11 at 3:15pm at the Albemarle CourthouseProperty: 1451 Bremerton Lane, KeswickDebtor: Francis E. and Shirley A. Pochick Original amount owing: $370,000Bidder brings: ...
- Jeff, Who Lives at Home Directors: Jay and Mark Duplass Starring: Jason Segel, Ed Helms, Susan Sarandon, Judy Greer Playing: Regal Downtown ~ R - 83 min.
- COVERDown and dirtyThe newest fitness trend sweeping the nation is mud racing, and the upcoming Mud Warrior could be your chance to get your toes not just wet but filthy. W...
- After just a couple of days, a planned display area for bulk materials at Allied Concrete has already made a visible impact on Harris Street. The retaining walls are going ...When we photographed General Robert E. Lee two years ago at tulip time, that picture was taken on April 20. This year, General Lee's tulips are at peak April 2, lending so...Jim Simcoe took to the Downtown Mall to protest the death of Trayvon Martin– and the notion that freedom means no accountability. He cites Florida's stand-your-ground...While Michael Hash recently was freed after a judge's ruling of police and prosecutorial misconduct, another Central Virginian controversially convicted as a teen remains i...The Board of Architectural Review will decide at its next meeting, Tuesday, April 17, whether a new hedge of laurel at the Haven, the downtown day shelter, can remain. (An ...For the first time in decades, natural light will flow into the former Coca-Cola bottling plant on Preston Avenue, as the new owner has ordered a tear-out of the brick pane...Related stories • #9 dreams: Invasion of the super towers • Woodard buildings finally getting a faceliftA quiet morning on the Downtown Mall was shattered Tuesday by the sound of a metal-on-metal crash that could be heard four blocks down Water Street, as a man driving a larg...Update Saturday, March 31: "It is with extremely heavy hearts that we have to report that little Devon Davis’ body was located Saturday in a lake near his home," re...This DJ Kook sticker was spotted on the corner of Ridge and West Main– it reminds us of something.
- With River Road's Tuckahoe condominium in the background under a stormy sky in later March, two boys walk through the Country Club of Virginia. (The longtime manager of Far...
- Glioma is the most common and deadly kind of brain cancer. Each year, 10,000 Americans are diagnosed, and only half survive beyond a year. Only a quarter after two years. B...
- I don't know Ric Barrick, but from all the reports I have read and heard, I have to say that the continued efforts by Rob Schilling to disparage this man truly represe...
Black and White
- I received a request from China for pictures of Charlottesville, so I biked north via the John Warner Parkway to our “Main Street,” the curiously named Seminole Trai...