March 15th, 2012 issue #1111
March 15th, 2012
- In the middle of a phone interview, Nick Galifianakis suddenly tells a reporter to hold on, and he starts speaking in Greek— to his mom, who's visiting from Greece. Family is ever-present with this guy. In North Carolina, the name Nick Galifianakis is well known as a former U.S. congressman. That would be our subject's namesake uncle. And throughout cinema-going America, the comedic talents of Zach Galifianakis also are well known. That would be Nick's cousin.read more
- March means bibliophilia in Charlottesville. That's how much of an institution the Virginia Festival of the Book has become as it readies for its 18th annual book-athon. Whether your interests are hoarding, after-life experiences, or serial bad relationships, the March 21-25 fest with 222 events and nearly 400 participants is likely to have the proverbial something for everyone. Browsing the festival schedule to come up with 10 recommendations, the Hook somehow ended up with nearly 30 items in its book bag.read more
- At 34, historical preservationist and UVA grad Eryn Brennan knows Charlottesville almost as intimately as a decades-long resident. As co-author of Images of America: Charlottesville, Brennan’s research was beyond thorough. “We searched through over 15,000 images from 30 different collections over a period of about four months,” Brennan says, who wrote the book with Margaret Maliszewski. “We then spent the next three months researching information for the 223 images we chose for the book.”read more
- When we wrote about Jenny Gardiner back in 2008, she'd just published her first book, Sleeping with Ward Cleaver, a chick-lit title that she marketed like mad. For all her efforts, and despite a pair of print runs that she thinks topped 30,000 copies, Gardiner received a grand total of $165 in royalties from Dorchester Publishing before the company filed for bankruptcy.read more
4Better Or Worse
- Biggest backlash: Culpeper Commonwealth's Attorney Gary Close abruptly resigns March 12 after a federal judge reverses a capital murder conviction against Michael Wayne H...
- Since the bold paint was applied in 2002, the shop that has anchored that festive purple palace of cuisine known as the Main Street Market has been increasing its sales and...More Italian cuisine news • Bella's on West Main has set March 23 as its opening date.Looks like the people who stole St. Maarten Café's sign had a fit of remorse, which even inspired some poetry."I came around the corner last night after having dinner and ...Just a week before the planned re-opening of St. Maarten Café on the Corner, which closed abruptly at the end of January after 26 years, more trouble has struck. On the ni...
- When I heard the news of the American soldier charged with the slaughter of 16 people in Afghanistan, I instantly flashed back to a ferry trip in the early 1970s from Liver...
Real Estate - $old
- 1/19/12 Albemarle Commodore Real Estate LLC to Mid-Atlantic Pizza Restaurants LLC, 1718 Seminole Trail, $558,660 Christopher B. Hawkins & Melissa A. Deane to Rodney ...
Real Estate - On the Block
- Address: 2004 and 1975 Walnutside Place Neighborhood: Garth Road area of AlbemarleAsking: $1,049,000Assessment:&...
Real Estate Property auctions
- March 19 at noon at the Charlottesville Circuit Court Property: 501 Rockland Avenue Debtor: Charlotte J. Gibson Original amount owing: $168,750 Bidder brings: 10 percent sa...
- Friends with Kids Director: Jennifer WestfeldtStarring: Jon Hamm, Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph Playing: Downtown~R - 100 min
- COVERBooked!It might have hit 80 degrees this week, but you're sure to see more jackets than ever in days to come– book jackets! The Festival of the Book is upon us, ...
- Local news outlets seem to have ignored Monday's press release about an impending Charlottesville concert by a musical act called Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers....About this time last year, the buzz surrounding the group buying craze was frenetic: Half-off food at your favorite restaurant! Up to 75 percent off a spa visit!Six weeks after a woman was found dead in a Charlottesville hotel room with her companion barely clinging to life, details are finally emerging about the tragedy that claim...Previous story • Storm Survivors: Rebuilding the Albemarle County FairRelated story • Where's Waldo? At the White House, in your computer... where *isn't* Waldo?
- Related story: • Kayley's Constellations - By Chad Harbach Literary phenom Chad Harbach credits the Hook for his runaway success with The Art of Fielding, the book that...
Black and White
- Oaks in East McIntire Park. Two groups I'm involved with, the Charlottesville Tree Commission and the Charlottesville Area Tree Stewards, will celebrate Arbor Day in Forest...