February 23rd, 2012 issue #1108
February 23rd, 2012
- More Huguely stories • Forensic litany: Lots of exhibits, less DNA evidence • Tuesday testimony: Huguely jurors get lesson in brain bleeding • Brutal force? Love's injuries conjure visions of strangulation, smotheringread more
- Attorneys in the murder trial of George Huguely made their final pleas to the jury to convict– or not convict so harshly– the defendant for the death of Yeardley Love after the defense rested around 2pm Saturday, February 18. During the roughly 90 minutes each side spent, the prosecution hammered home the brutal attack on Love when she thought she was safe at home, and the defense argued that Huguely had no intent to murder Love or to steal her laptop– the taking of which added five additional felony charges to the first-degree murder charge he's facing.read more
- More Huguely stories • Tuesday testimony: Huguely jurors get lesson in brain bleeding • Brutal force? Love's injuries conjure visions of strangulation, smotheringread more
- More Huguely stories • Chasing Any: Three women rebuff Huguely meet-ups • Forensic litany: Lots of exhibits, less DNA evidence • Tuesday testimony: Huguely jurors get lesson in brain bleedingread more
- Later on Saturday: • Closing arguments: Intent and malice debated in Love's death More Huguely stories: • Friday defense: Former high-schoolers tell of Love purse-smacking Huguelyread more
- More Huguely stories • Chasing any: Three women rebuff Huguely meet-ups • Forensic litany: Lots of exhibits, less DNA evidence • Tuesday testimony: Huguely jurors get lesson in brain bleedingread more
- George Wesley Huguely V faces six charges in the death of Yeardley Love, including first-degree murder and its possible life sentence. The verdict will be determined after this issue of the Hook goes to press, but with the help of Hook legal expert David Heilberg, here's a rundown of the charges and what the jury will be deliberating February 22. The biggie:read more
4Better Or Worse
- Hungriest: Twelve UVA students begin a hunger strike February 18 in support of a living wage of at least $13 for the university's lowest paid employees.
- Shame Director: Steve McQueenStarring: Michael Fassbender, Carey MulliganPlaying: Downtown~NC-17 - 101 min
- For many restaurants and bars, the prospect of a visit by undercover ABC agents is a constant fear. A single alcohol violation could trigger temporary loss of a liquor lice...Perfect temperatures right around freezing following a six-inch blast of natural snow gave Wintergreen Resort some Monday holiday joy.Recent stories • The charges: What Huguely's jury must decide • Closing arguments: Intent and malice debated in Love's death *** • Countdown to death: An action time...Just for buying the new album, fans of Charlottesville-based rock band Sons of Bill not only get the disc– but a free show at the Paramount Theater. It happens on Thu...As previously reported, the CEO of the company that operates the Meade Avenue scrap yard long known as Coiner's Scrap Iron and Metal had promised to relaunch walk-in sales ...Last year, Paul Beyer ran for City Council. This year, he's starting a music/art festival modeled on Austin's South by Southwest. With film, book and photo festivals alread...After a year in which 21 people died on roads in Albemarle County, Djarad Robinson, 36, of Charlottesville became the first fatality of 2012 as a passenger in the back seat...The effort to overturn the ban on Sunday hunting sailed through the Senate last month, only to meet the fate of so many bills and die in subcommittee in the House of Delega...According to a recent County police report, the controversial red-light cameras at the intersection of Route 29 and Rio Road are a success. Crashes at the approaches where ...
- Sadly, the tragic lesson from Ferrum University was not learned by a Chatham-area man who allegedly shot and killed his neighbor after mistaking the innocent citizen for a ...Brooklyn-based duo They Might Be Giants performed what we think was their sixth Charlottesville concert since we began keeping score in 1990. Along the way, they penned a t...Recycling on Park Street requires skillful juggling of bins and traffic. (This is the kind of photo someone might take if they were killing time outside the offices of Geor...It had been the season without a snow accumulation– until the eve of President's Day, when the kiddies would already have the day off from school. Despite the irony, ...Huguely stories • Not trauma: Brain doc says CPR did the damage • Chasing any: Three women rebuff Huguely meet-ups • Forensic litany: Lots of exhibits, less DNA evid...COVERIntent to kill?After a three-day break, the jury in the first degree murder trial of George W. Huguely IV took up deliberations. Here, a look back at the evidence and ...So far, winter 2012 hasn't been much like winter at all, with temperatures more than three degrees above average and snowfall nearly 14 inches below average. That could all...
- Regarding ["Biggest brawl"] in 4Better or Worse in the February 16 issue: First of all, there was no "brawl." Not one punch. I was there. CHS players were playing ver...
Black and White
- How does the out of town coverage compare to that of the local broadcast folk? I have not seen any out of area broadcast coverage of The Commonwealth of Virginia vs. George...