December 18th, 2002 issue #0146
December 18th, 2002
- It's become a University of Virginia rite of spring: Young gentlemen don a tie, ladies put on a spring frock and hat, then they head to Foxfield and get trashed. That tradition of properly attired drunkenness in a steeplechase setting has outraged some members of the community and left Foxfield fighting desperately to save its ABC license and perhaps its very existence.read more
- Early in the 20th century, a horse trying to graze on the property now owned by the Foxfield Racing Association likely would have been buzzed by a newfangled flying machine. Charlottesville's first airport opened on the site in 1929, two months before the big stock market crash. Dixie Flying Service's first passenger took off for New York on August 21, according to John Hammond Moore in Albemarle: Jefferson's County 1727-1976.read more
4Better Or Worse
- Worst case of armed and dangerous: SWAT teams arrest four men who are suspects in a crime rampage that includes a burglary, rape, and the shooting of two men on U.S. 29 nor...
- Move over, Napa. Pick up the pace, Finger Lakes. Experts agree that Albemarle County is ripe to become the next gourmet hot spot. If your vision of bliss includes warm Fren...
- Central Virginia's Congressman Virgil Goode and others complained about the recent appointment of Henry Kissinger to investigate 9/11. Citing conflicts with his internation...
- December 19, 2002, at noon at the Albemarle County CourthouseProperty: 1704 Lindsay Road, GordonsvilleDebtor: Francis M. and Norman W. Maupin Sr.Originally owing: $40,000Bi...
Real Estate - $old
- ALBEMARLE 8/20 John R. McLaughlin, Trustee, to Frank E. and Barbara Wellman, 7.1 acres on State Route 784, $285,000. Southland Homes Inc. to Susan A. and W. James C...
Real Estate - On the Block
- Address: 2806 Northfield Road Seen in The Hook : 10/3 Asking: $295,000 Contract price: $285,000 Days on market: 120 days Sellers Agent: Eric Strzepek of Century 21 Alb...ASKING: $390,000 SIZE: 2,712 fin. sq. ft. YEAR BUILT: 1981 ADDRESS: 311-B Second Street NEIGHBORHOOD: McGuffey Hill CURB APPEAL: 1 out of a possible 10 LISTED BY: Charlotte...
- No way should you begin your journey to Middle Earth with The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. To follow the story, you need more than a passing familiarity with The Fell...
- The Oratorio Society of Charlottesville-AlbemarleSunday, December 15at Old Cabell Hall Auditorium We can't escape them. Certain holiday tunes, once so fun to sing along t...King Golden Bansheeat Dürty Nelly'sSunday, December 15
- Columbia, Fluvanna County's only town, is so small that, according to one resident, a "landslide" election victory means the candidate's votes hit double digits. Neverthele...Bus station bathrooms have never had a good reputation and usually are the kinds of places mothers don't want their children to go into alone. But if all goes well, scuzzy ...COLUMBIA– Legend has it that this tiny town at the confluence of the James and Rivanna rivers was one vote away from becoming Virginia's capital in the late 1700s. Tw...WASHINGTON– The Supreme Court is considering whether cross burning is illegal intimidation or a free-speech right in a First Amendment case that could overturn state ...When four inches of snow blanketed Charlottesville on December 5, Cheri Lewis spent an hour and a half shoveling snow from in front of her business on Seventh Street NE. By...
Strange But True
- Q. How early in life can a person fall in "real love"? Certainly by age 18 many of us have been truly smitten. What about age 13? Thirteen-year-old Juliet fell head-over-he...
- "There's a fine line between fun and insanity, and that line constantly moves," jokes Greg Harris as we talk about the upcoming production of the New Lyric Theater's The Go...
- She makes being in the hot seat look so easy. Always poised, always well-spoken, Louise Dudley has calmly handled the press during UVA's worst calamities over the past 11 y...
- I would like to express my support for the proposed city zoning changes and the Preston Ave development project. As our regional population grows, I believe it's important ...Published December 19, 2002, in issue #46 of the Hook I was extremely disappointed that The Hook chose to publish Lisa Provence's article, "Sour note, Bell ringer sent pack...
- I’m sure that I’m not alone when I say Christmas brings out the worst in us.This is not the start of an anti-materialism rampage, or a denunciation of seasonal hypocris...Finally it’s winter break; no more school for nearly two full weeks. With this sort of freedom, it’s the perfect time to set off on family adventures that we don’t us...Imagine this scenario: A scandal erupts at the North Pole when one of Jolly Old St. Nick's reindeer pals accuses him of sexual harassment. As the media investigate the alle...From your very first concert as a young pop/rock fan, you learn that the term “better on CD” is the credo of almost every act of this particular genre. Studio trickery,...It would be easy for Second Street Gallery, when they split a show between two artists, to simply split a show between two artists. You over there, and you over there, and ..."I wish I was a despot that I might save the noble, beautiful trees that are daily falling sacrifice to the cupidity of their owners... The unnecessary felling of a t...
Full Stories List for December 18th, 2002 issue #0146
4Better Or Worse
Real Estate - $old
Strange But True
The Fearless Consumer