March 14th, 2002 issue #0106
March 14th, 2002
4Better Or Worse
- Best description of a thief– white male, fond of chocolates, ice cream, and books: Barracks Road’s Lindt Chocolate Shops, Barnes & Noble, and Ben and Jerr...
- In the two years since Sam’s Kitchen went up in flames, we haven’t heard too much about massive blazes destroying businesses. But now, it’s happened again, and coinci...
Real Estate - On the Block
- ASKING: $325,000 SQUARE FOOTAGE: 2,300 YEAR BUILT: 1997 ADDRESS: Bridalwood Trail, Keswick NEIGHBORHOOD: Keswick, Cismont CURB APPEAL: 6 out of a possible 10 LISTED B...
- The remake of The Time Machine has two "based-on credits," one at the beginning and one at the end so you don't connect them. The first is the original novel by H.G. Wells,...
- Russ Perry, one of the architects involved in designing a new home for Live Arts, the Second Street Gallery, and Light House, began the evening, a fundraising concert for t...
- An ominous looking legal notice in the classifieds warns residents of Langford Farms in Ivy that the total coliform bacteria in January exceeded federal standards. Coliform...How could someone so full of life suffer such a terrible death? Friends of the late Dave Grant are wondering. Ted Kostich, for instance, is a developer who recalls the time...To the Four County Players, one of the oldest theater groups in the area, there’s something rotten in Richmond. In fact, the 30-year-old Players are so riled up that they...As a recording engineer in Charlottesville with clients like Earth to Andy and Seven Mary Three, Kevin McNoldy had a big problem. “I’d be with a band, they’d get a re...Head Guano Boy Chris Leva was waiting for bass player Dave Grant at Bobby Read’s North Garden recording studio last Tuesday to do some mixing for a new Guano Boys CD.&nbs...A top Charlottesville developer team is feuding. However, if local news accounts have given the impression that the mammoth properties built by Lee Danielson and Colin Rolp...It’s reminiscent of Chicken Little, only these days the problem is that nothing’s falling from the sky. Or at least not enough. All over the area, officials are soundin...
- “It’s one-on-one training, every time,” says Joe Mallory, who, even as he’s being interviewed, barks out instructions: “Throw it harder,” he yells to two young...
- I'm hooked on your new publication and wish you the greatest success. I'm disappointed, though, with Mariane Matera's essay [ “No excuse,” 3/07/02].
- The Hook quoted Charlottesville mayor Blake Caravati as saying that the words "hate crimes" do not appear in Virginia statutes [News, “White Sheets,” 2/28/02]. That str...
- It’s too late to haul your castoff books to Gordon Avenue to contribute to this year’s annual Friends of the Library sale. “All of our little spaces where we store th...Miguel de Cervantes probably never envisioned that Don Quixote would some day embody the sentiment of a famous Broadway song, "The Impossible Dream." He also likely never c...If you’ve ever been to the Virginia Discovery Museum and enjoyed the host of great hands-on, interactive exhibits they pack into that little building, then wished for mor...Since September 11, most media reports have focused on terrorist activities, and rightly so. But in between those updates have been reports of smaller events that just as s...If you're in a mind to "ease on down the road" to Live Arts this weekend, you'll find yourself caught in a tornado of "funkified" energy. Clinton Johnston's direction of Th...Annie put it best when she sang, “It’s the hard knock life for us.” But while orphan Annie’s journey through adolescence ended happily as a member of the Warbucks f...Q: What the heck is that? A: It’s a stick. Q: What the heck’s a stick? Glad you asked. Most Monday nights at Miller’s, when he’s not on tour, Greg Howard perfor...Above all things, the strange concept behind this exhibit bears mention. For the paintings that comprise her exhibit, “Puppet Fiefdom,” Vidu Palta seems to have used re...
- Browse through the listings for the soon-to-happen Eighth Annual Virginia Festival of the Book, and your head will spin. Too much in too short a time! I don’t want to cho...
Full Stories List for March 14th, 2002 issue #0106
4Better Or Worse
Real Estate - On the Block