February 7th, 2002 issue #0101
February 7th, 2002
- If we told you that not too far from here, in a typical Albemarle County farmhouse on a typical small-town street, with a wife and two kids, four dogs, a spreadwing American eagle over the garage door and a basketball hoop in the driveway, there lives a guy who introduced the U. S. to Colombian gold and smuggled nearly a million pounds of it into the country from the mid-'70s to the mid-'80s, would you believe us? Read on.read more
- Sometimes it's not always easy to find a restaurant to impress out-of-town guests, unless they're from Palmyra or something. We have many good nouvelle American-style resta...
- As the TentMaker would have it: "The moving finger writes; and, having writ,//Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit//Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line//Nor all thy Tea...
Question of the Week
- Alexandria Searls: "My first thoughts were for the Music Resource Center. Where will it go on such short notice? The kids who use the center need to be able to get the...
- Rosie ThomasWhen We Were Small(Sub Pop) It doesn't seem quite right to call this Detroit-born, Seattle-based girl's album ambitious– its 10 tracks come in just under ...
- In the creation of the new paper, every element of its content and design was evaluated. For the body copy, we chose a narrowed version of nine-point Hoefler Text. It offer...It's not just because it's a good idea– so many metaphors and phrases take it in useful directions: a good news story has a "hook" that grabs you from the first line ...Editor's note: Tempting as it may be, this new paper will avoid self-referential reporting— except for this one time. In the interests of explaining how the Hook began, i...
- We meet at the Jefferson Preschool, the first building that comes to Joan Woodfolk's mind when I ask for a place that will evoke her childhood memories of Vinegar Hill. ...
- Dear Readers, One month ago today, I was sitting at my desk when I learned my career with the newspaper I co-founded 12 years earlier was coming to an end. It was a ...
Full Stories List for February 7th, 2002 issue #0101
Question of the Week
The Fearless Consumer