NEWS- Mover and shaker: Glickman was quaken, but not stirred

Mark Glickman has always been a mover and a shaker. A longtime public relations exec, with a long run at Wintergreen resort , he's met and mingled with celebrities from Bill Clinton to Dolly Parton. But he can now say he really moves and shakes.

In August, Glickman, subject of the Hook's October 5, 2005 HotSeat interview, said farewell to Central Virginia and moved to Hawaii to become marketing director of the Mauna Lani Resort on the Big Island. Less than two months later, he was shaking in a whole new way.

On Sunday, October 15, Glickman and his family, newly settled into a house after two months living at the resort, were awakened at 6:55am by the largest earthquake to hit Hawaii since 1983. 

"Here's where you don't want to be during a major earthquake," wrote Glickman to friends and colleagues in Charlottesville.

"Being in a new house, at first we thought that maybe the overhead fan had run amok," he writes from the town of Waimea, six miles from the epicenter, "but after the house swayed violently back and forth for two minutes, and loud thuds and broken glass could be heard from all directions, it was clear this was something much more than a faulty fan."

With his children crying and neighbors calling out, Glickman says, the family ran outside, fearful the house might collapse.

Fortunately, once the shaking stopped, the only damage chez Glickman was a collapsed retaining wall near the driveway.

The resort withstood the quake as well, he reports, with the exception of some 200 televisions, which were "ripped from their cables and flew across every room."

Glickman rushed to the hotel with his family and helped to evacuate guests, among them Hawaii governor Linda Lingle, who checked out in order to declare a state of emergency.

"I'll bill her later," Glickman now jokes.

Though the experience was frightening– as were the 20 to 30 aftershocks– he and his family are safe and sound. But in the wake of the quake, Glickman, who retains ownership of the Charlottesville-based Glickman Group, says he has changed one important detail of his life.

"From now on I'll be making my Sunday morning cup of coffee at 6:30am." he writes. "It was a long day with no Kona."

Mark Glickman left Charlottesville