Bacterial meningitis returns to UVA

Television stations in both Charlottesville and Richmond are covering a near-miss of bacterial meningitis at UVA. The 19-year-old student was found to be carrying the bacteria that can lead to dangerous inflammation of the brain, but was not actually diagnosed with meningitis and is expected to recover fully. Five other students are also undergoing preventative treatment.

Last September, Monticello High School graduate and then-UVA fourth-year student Jennifer Leigh Wells died from the same condition. Dr. Lilian Peake, Health Director for the Thomas Jefferson Health District, dismissed it as a fluke at the time: "This is not something people need to take immediate actions against," she said, "It's a rare disease, and the general population is not at risk."



Get out of town.

So what should we do to protect ourselves?