Police release baby’s name, but no whys

Information is still sketchy about how a nine-month-old baby boy died of hyperthermia March 30 in the Judge Advocate General's School parking lot. On April 4, university police finally released the name of the young victim, Bryce Balfour, and confirmed that heat exposure was the cause of his death. A day earlier, the state medical examiner's office reported that the infant died of hyperthermia and ruled the death accidental.

Authorities say the baby's mother is an employee at the JAG School, and she was on the scene when police arrived around 4pm March 30.

Hyperthermia can occur when children are left in cars for a short time, even on a mild spring day with a high of only 66 degrees, as was the case on March 30, according to the National Weather Service. And in 40 percent of the cases, the caregiver forgets the child is strapped in the back seat, according to Jan Null at San Francisco State University, who tracks incidents of hyperthermia in children.

As the community struggles to make sense of the tragedy, police remain tight-lipped about the details of what is presumably a horrible accident. "We have no additional information for you today," says Captain Michael Coleman of the University Police Department.

In a call to the home of Jarrett and Raelyn Balfour in Ruckersville, Jarrett Balfour said, "Because of the situation, we are unable to say anything."



Sorry to hear about the boy. My prayers to the family