Man dies on Mall
A month after Charlottesville began installing Automated External Defibrillators in all public buildings, a man collapsed in a Downtown Mall office this morning, and rescue personnel performed CPR on him in front of Hamiltons' restaurant for approximately 15 minutes, witnesses estimated.
According to an officer on the scene, the man was carrying furniture to a new business on the second floor above Hamiltons', and on the second trip, complained of chest pains. Charlottesville Fire Department arrived in less than four minutes, says Charlottesville Albemarle Rescue Squad Chief Dayton Haugh, and the rescue squad was there in eight minutes, but they were unable to revive the man.
Hamiltons' does not have an AED, which delivers an electrical shock to an irregularly beating heart and increases a cardiac arrest victim's survival rate by as much as 85 percent. The restaurant was not open when the man collapsed at around 10:30am.
"In general, the sooner you can do that, the better the chances are of survival," says Haugh. Both rescue units carry the device as part of their regular equipment.
"We're trying to promote putting them in businesses," says Charlottesville Fire Chief Charles Werner. He cites an AED rescue in Madison in the past week. "They had one, the person went down, and they were able to revive that person," says Werner.
That was not the case this morning, and the man was dead when he arrived at UVA hospital.