Wild Wing recovering from blaze
An early morning fire at Wild Wing Caf© on July 27 was fortunately extinguished within 10 minutes, but it will take a little more time for the popular eatery to recover. According to general manager Kiersten Kaufman, they were hoping to open the downstairs seating area this weekend.
“Unfortunately, there was more damage than we had anticipated, so we are having to push that back for a few days,” says Kaufman. “We’re still completely unsure when we’ll officially reopen, but we are hoping by next weekend.”
Kaufman says the majority of the damage was actually caused by smoke and water from the building’s sprinkler system and hose-wielding Charlottesville firefighters as they fought the blaze. Upstairs, where the fire started, planters, a chair, and a small portion of the restaurant’s decking were burned.
“We’re still not completely sure how the fire started,” says Kaufman, “but it's suspected that it started with a cigarette that was put out in one of our planters.”